Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Accountability, NBA Style




For a team to be effective, it must be accountable. This doesn't mean that the players or team members are only accountable to their coach or leader. This is one-way accountability. True accountability flows in all directions, with players and team members accountable to one another. There is a good example of this in the Atlanta paper from last month. Al Horford of the Hawks in only his second year is holding his team mates accountable for their effort and performance. He is becoming a true leader way beyond his 23 years. Oh, and he isn't the best player or the biggest scorer. He's just a leader.

He’s different because he’s a second-year pro and leading this team —- often by example, sometimes by his words, even in the face of a veteran teammate.
How many second-year pros do that?
“I did it at Florida when I felt I had to,” Horford said Thursday. “I did it in high school. Here, I’ve done it a couple of times.”
Anticipating the next question, he quickly veered left: “I’m not going to name names. But if I see that somebody is not necessarily putting in the effort or is slacking off and it’s noticeable, I’m going to say something. Usually I’m very mellow. But sometimes I think something needs to be said, even if I put it out there in front of the whole team, even to the point where the guys might be mad at me for a day or two. I think it’s for the best."

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/printedition/2009/03/20/schultz0320.html

1 comment:

  1. Brian,
    Whether holding others accountable - team, boss, kids, spouse - or yourself accountable...well, it's hard. It has potential to hurt feelings. And if you are holding yourself accountable you'll have to throw away those rose colored glasses. ugh! (They come in so handy when we are letting ourselves off the hook.)

    I think what gets me to the action step is what Horford says in his simple, "I think it's for the best." That's hard logic to dismiss.
    Good post.

    ReplyDelete